Professional Headshot Iris Air professional photo booth
A new and improved service of free professional photos for University of Kentucky students - perfect for enhancing your personal branding on platforms such as Handshake and LinkedIn.
*Our photography does not meet the requirements for performing artist headshots.
Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm (not available over winter or summer break)
How does the Iris Air work?
- The Iris photo booth is self-service with a touch screen, high-quality lighting, and camera equipment.
- Information about getting ready for your photo, on the Iris photo booth website.
- When your appointment begins, you will sit on the adjustable stool in front of the booth and follow the prompts on the screen.
- You will enter your UK email address and accept terms to continue.
- To take your photos, continue to follow the prompts on the screen.
- The booth will take a series of three photos during your session and you will have the option to re-take one of the three photos.
- Your photos are immediately emailed to you for downloading and editing.
*Staff will be available before, during, and after your session to assist as needed.
How should I dress for my photos?
- Dress professionally, and be aware the portrait will not include your lower body, so you can dress accordingly.
- Professional attire generally means a dark-colored suit and solid-colored shirt or blouse.
- It's fine to wear a white shirt/blouse under a dark jacket. But avoid wearing white as your outer layer (white jacket, or white shirt/blouse without a dark jacket over it). Why? The portrait background is light, so a white outer layer might not give sufficient contrast.
* Stuckert Career Center does have a blue backdrop that can be used upon request, but the Iris Air photo booth camera settings are adjusted to the white background.
Where do I go for my headshot appointment?
Stuckert Career Center
- On your arrival, please proceed to the Stuckert Career Center's front desk for check-in.
- A staff member will walk you back to the Iris Air photo booth station.
- There is a restroom near the photography station for your convenience, should you require attire changes or a quick touch-up.
- A staff member will be available before, during, and after your session to assist as needed.
Tips for Headshots
As you prepare for your appointment, we have a few tips for you:
- Practice in the mirror at home:
- All headshots are from mid-chest up.
- We will rarely take a waist-up shot unless a special request by you.
- Try on different outfits:
- Choose what fits you best. Take into consideration the ability to cross your arms.
- Think about the career field you will be going into. What types of clothing do individuals wear in their photos, such as polo, scrubs, white shirts, professional white coats, or suits?
- Go to a couple of companies online and see if they have staff headshots or company photos. Look at what they are wearing. As the old saying goes “Dress for the position that you want to obtain.” You want employers to see how you will fit in their team.
- Try to avoid patterns and thin stripes and do think about contrast and tones in the colors you wear with your skin tone, eyes, and with your clothing accessories.
- Practice your facial muscles:
- You have over 40 muscles in your face. See which angle you prefer, and how strong a smile you prefer. Watch how your eye shape changes from full to squinting.
- Practice chin awareness, we tend to lean our heads backward. Just tilting the head downward, a quarter inch can change an entire photo.
- Try out different hairstyles:
- You might choose the typical style that is you or you might want to try something new. Do not try something new on the day of your shoot…test it.
- Bring with you your own brush and hair accessories that could be used to touch up hair issues during the session.
The Stuckert Career Center has a photo studio where business-professional headshots are taken for enrolled University of Kentucky students at no cost to the student. Students must schedule an appointment via Handshake, UK’s career management platform, and photos will be taken in one outfit. Effective April 2023, due to equipment and logistics considerations, unless it is an event that is being organized by the Stuckert Career Center, mobile headshot studios will not be provided for student organizations or campus partners at off-site locations. In addition to individual student headshot services by appointment, headshot services will continue to be available to student organizations, UK classes, and UK student programs on-site in the Career Center building. If an approved UK organization or office wants to schedule a headshot event at the Stuckert Career Center, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.