Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

As individuals who work closely with UK students, you may encounter distressed students in your offices or classrooms. Your role could be a crucial and positive one in identifying and referring students who are experiencing difficulty with academic, career, or personal concerns.

What You Can Do

You may want to talk to the student directly and express your concern. Listen openly to the student and reserve judgment. Often, a caring individual who is willing to take the time to listen can make a big difference.

If the student needs or wants further support, you, or the student, can make a referral by completing the form at this site:

Get Help

Students seeking services at the Counseling Center should attend an appointment with the TRACS (Triage, Referral, Assistance, and Crisis Support) office first (see above form). The TRACS office is open M-F, 8 am - 5 pm and is located on the 3rd Floor East Wing of the Gatton Student Center.

Students may call (859) 257-8701 for after hours support (press 1 at the recording).

If you want to consult with a mental health clinician about your concerns for a student or how to approach a student, call (859) 257-8701 (press 1 if you get a recording). If you know the student is working with a clinician at the Counseling Center, you may share info with our office by calling the number listed above.

Crisis/Urgent Situations

Call TRACS at (859) 218-7227 and let them know the student needs urgent support. After hours, call (859) 257-8701 and press 1.

If a student has a weapon or threatens you, call 911.

We consider a situation to be a crisis when there is:

  • Imminent danger of physical harm to self and/or others, and/or
  • Disabling emotional distress, e.g., insomnia, uncontrollable crying, agitation, inability to manage daily tasks.

What we do

Assessment of the Student

In the initial meeting a clinician will assess the student's needs and what services may be appropriate. The following options may be considered:

  • Further assessment using career, learning skills, and/or psychological testing
  • Individual, group, or relationship therapy sessions
  • Referral to other departments or services on campus and/or in the community, including psychiatric services

Services Offered

  • Crisis intervention
  • Brief individual therapy
  • Support groups
  • Relationship therapy
  • Grief interventions
  • Focused short-term groups
  • Consultation
  • Outreach presentations
  • Psychoeducational workshops
  • Referrals


We understand that you may be interested in the progress of the student you have referred; however, we are bound by principles of confidentiality as mental health clinicians and can release information only with written permission from the client. You may share any information you like with us. Students may give permission for us to share information at this link:

Release of Information

What we can and cannot do

We can: 

  • Answer your questions related to mental health services, including how to access those services
  • Offer you information about psychological concerns and problems in general

We cannot:

  • Say whether a student is being seen here or has kept an appointment
  • Discuss the content of sessions
  • Discuss treatment plans or progress