Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

What do I need to do to apply for financial aid?

While a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is not required, you are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA when it becomes available by the Department of Education. You may complete a FAFSA for review of federal and state assistance throughout the year, but funding may be exhausted for some types of assistance early on in the processing cycle. 

In order to be eligible for Competitive and Academic Scholarships as a Freshman, you must be admitted by December 1st, the Early Action Deadline. 

Why did I receive another award notice?

Changes in your financial aid situation, such as the receipt of additional grants/scholarships, must be taken into consideration and may impact your current eligibility for assistance. The most current award notice takes precedence over previous notices. 

For questions regarding overawards, you can find this policy here

Is there an hour/grade requirement for financial aid?

You must be enrolled at least half-time to receive funding from federal and state financial aid programs including loan programs.  Half-time enrollment status is defined as follows: 

  • Undergraduate – 6 credit hours;
  • PharmD - 6 credit hours;
  • Graduate, Professional Doctoral and Law - 5 credit hours. 

Undergraduate students enrolled less than half-time may be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant if they meet all other Pell Grant eligibility criteria.   

In addition to the above, to receive aid you must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward your degree.   

Are there additional funding opportunities?

We recommend viewing our ScholarshipUniverse tool for additional scholarship opportunities.  

Who should I contact for Academic Scholarship questions?

Please feel free to contact the Academic Scholarship Office at (859)257-4198 or  

Are international students eligible to apply for financial aid?

As an international student, you are not eligible for federal financial aid. You can look into Private Alternative Loan options to assist with your educational expenses. 

You also have opportunities for Academic Scholarships, Departmental Scholarships and International Center opportunities. Admitted students can use our ScholarshipUniverse tool to search for both internal and external scholarship opportunities.

I have been selected for verification, what do I do?

If you have been selected for Verification, please log into your myUK account to review and upload the required verification documents.  

How do I view my financial aid package online?

Students can view their financial aid package in their myUK account (myUK > Student Services > Financials > Financial Aid > View & Accept Offers).

How do I contact my financial aid counselor?

Students can find their assigned Financial Aid Counselor’s contact infromation in their myUK account or on our website here

I have received a scholarship from an outside (non-UK) organization, who do I need to notify?

Please feel free to contact the External Scholarship Office at

You can find the Declaration of Additional Resources Form (DARF) here. Please allow up to three weeks for processing of the updated financial aid notification. For questions regarding when your outside scholarship funding will be received by UK, please contact your organization directly.  

What should I do if I am interested in taking courses at another institution while enrolled at UK?

If you are interested in taking courses at another institution, while also enrolled at UK, please complete the Consortium Agreement.

Who has access to my financial aid information?

FERPA gives students certain rights with respect to their education records. 

How did the University of Kentucky respond to the COVID-19 pandemic?

You can find information about how UK responded to the COVID-19 pandemic here